At Citrix Synergy 2018, we defined our vision of a true, comprehensive digital workspace aimed at transforming how people work with the new Citrix Workspace. We committed to delivering on that vision in 90 days, and your role in that journey starts today!
A digital workspace requires a completely integrated user experience, aimed at improving productivity for the end-user without compromising security. People need to have personal device freedom that integrates business applications, whether those are web, SaaS, Windows, Linux or mobile apps, side-by-side with their personal applications. They should be able to open a file without worrying if the file will open or what the best method is to open it. They should have freedom to leverage the internet as a powerful business tool without constant fear of phishing attacks or viruses. They should have seamless, password-free access to all their resources from any device. These are just a few expectations the modern worker needs to get their job done.
One integral part of delivering this comprehensive, fully integrated workspace experience is the Citrix Workspace app. As showcased at Citrix Synergy, Citrix Workspace app is the gateway to unlocking the full potential of the Citrix Workspace. Citrix Workspace app works in conjunction with the Citrix Cloud Workspace platform to deliver an integrated secure digital workspace experience across any device. The first step of this journey involves Citrix Receiver. While we are introducing new capabilities into Citrix Workspace app, we are also incorporating 25+ years of Citrix Receiver capabilities. This means that Citrix Workspace app will enable you to do everything you can with Citrix Receiver today, plus much, much more.
Our development efforts incorporated feedback from customers who were looking to solve the proliferation of apps and devices entering the enterprise.
So, let’s dive a little deeper into the engineering efforts behind Citrix Workspace app, as that’s the area my team really focuses on. We made a strategic decision to fold all the capabilities of Citrix Receiver into our new, more powerful Citrix Workspace app. In the best interest of our customers, we will focus our future development efforts on one client. This means that within next few months, you will see Citrix transition away from Citrix Receiver to Citrix Workspace app, even if you are only using XenApp and XenDesktop on-premises. We have designed Citrix Workspace app to fully integrate with StoreFront, giving you the same high-definition user experience you have with your existing XenApp and XenDesktop on-premises deployment. We have also optimized it to work with the Citrix Workspace platform to deliver an entirely new user experience. With all of our engineering resources focused on developing Citrix Workspace app, this means new features faster for every aspect of the digital workspace.
For example, we are incorporating an embedded browser into Citrix Workspace app. Existing XenApp and XenDesktop deployments will be able to harness that embedded browser in the future. By integrating Citrix Workspace app and the embedded browser, future releases of XenApp and XenDesktop will be able to leverage the browser to optimize the user experience and improve server scalability. These capabilities are coming soon to Citrix Workspace users as well as Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop users.
Now let’s take a moment to discuss moving your users from Citrix Receiver to Citrix Workspace app.
- First, the current icon for Citrix Receiver will change from black to the blue Citrix Workspace app icon. The icon will look the same, so users will know what to look for, however the new color will indicate that it is now Citrix Workspace app
- Second, the name will change from Citrix Receiver to Citrix Workspace app.
That’s it! The user experience will remain completely the same.
Citrix recognizes that the Receiver name and icon are well known by millions of users and people are trained to look for the name/icon to get their work done. We surveyed many of our customers to ensure that Citrix was providing the appropriate resources to aid in the transition. Here is what you asked for:
- Advanced Notice: We hope that this blog post, in addition to our customer survey efforts, product brand notifications, customer outreach efforts, etc. will help serve as an additional notification vehicle. This is also why we are posting this at the very beginning of July to give as much notice as possible.
- New Icon Image: You asked for a high-resolution icon image to update your internal documentation.
- Tech Preview: You asked for early access to the Citrix Workspace app to try it out in your XenApp and XenDesktop test environments before we ship Citrix Workspace app.
When will the changes happen:
- July 2018: New Citrix Workspace app packages will be posted to Citrix.com at the end of July.
- July 2018: Mobile app stores will have the new Workspace app packages posted at the end of July.
- August 2018: Citrix is encouraging customers to have all your users upgraded to the new Citrix Workspace app by the end of August to ensure you can harness the new capabilities of the next XenApp and XenDesktop Current Release targeted for 2018 Q3.
- Long Term Service Release: Customers utilizing the Citrix Receiver for Windows LTSR are not required to take any action at this time.
Stay tuned for more resources and communications from us on the new Citrix Workspace user experience.