Trademark & Copyright Guidelines
These Trademark & Copyright Guidelines apply to licensees, developers, customers, and authorized resellers who wish to use the trademarks, service marks, certification marks, logos, or copyrighted material of Citrix Systems, Inc. and its affiliates (collectively, “Citrix”) in connection with advertising, marketing, promotional, informational and reference materials, on product packaging, on websites, or on printed publications. The Guidelines also apply to Citrix employees acting outside the scope of their employment with Citrix (i.e. contributing to industry publications or online forums). Any unauthorized or improper use of Citrix’s trademarks or copyrighted material may constitute infringement and unfair competition in violation of federal, state and international laws.
Authorized partners, resellers, licensees and certified parties may be subject to additional restrictions. If you are a Citrix licensee, Partner or a “Citrix Certified” entity, please consult your agreement for specific requirements applicable to your use of Citrix’s trademarks. In the event of a conflict between the applicable agreement and these Trademark & Copyright Guidelines, the terms of the agreement will control.
Citrix reserves the right to oppose any use of its trademarks that Citrix, in its sole discretion, deems unlawful or improper, even if such use is not expressly prohibited hereunder. The status of Citrix’s trademarks may change, and it may be necessary to revise these Trademark & Copyright Guidelines from time to time. It is your responsibility to comply with the most current version of these guidelines.
Please direct any questions regarding these Trademark & Copyright Guidelines to your Citrix representative or email them to Citrix’s Senior Legal Counsel, Trademarks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GENERAL TRADEMARK USAGE GUIDELINES
In return for permission to use a Citrix trademark, you agree to follow the requirements set forth in these Trademark & Copyright Guidelines and any other applicable guidelines and policies set by Citrix. You also acknowledge that Citrix is the sole owner of the Citrix trademark/s and promise that you will not interfere with Citrix’s rights in and to the trademark/s, including challenging Citrix’s use, registration of, or application to register such trademark/s, alone or in combination with other words, anywhere in the world, and that you will not harm, misuse, or bring into disrepute any Citrix trademarks. The goodwill derived from using Citrix trademarks belongs exclusively to Citrix.
Except for the limited right to use as expressly permitted under these guidelines, no other rights of any kind are granted hereunder, by implication or otherwise.
PERMISSIBLE USES OF CITRIX TRADEMARKS
Citrix only licenses its trademarks for use with goods and services that meet Citrix’s high quality standards. Citrix reserves the right to object to or prohibit at any time the use of its marks in connection with goods or services that, in Citrix’s sole opinion, fail to meet Citrix’s standards of quality.
Compatibility with Third Party Products
Citrix word marks (but not logo marks or other graphic depictions of Citrix marks) may be used in an informational context to inform consumers that a third party product is compatible with the specifically-referenced Citrix product, provided that such use otherwise complies with these Trademark & Copyright Guidelines and the following requirements:
- The Citrix mark is not part of the third party product name.
- The Citrix word mark appears less prominently than the third party product name.
- The Citrix mark is used only in a referential context (i.e. “Works with Citrix” or “Compatible with Citrix’s Citrix Content Collaboration™ platform”).
- The third party product must actually be compatible with the specific Citrix product or service referenced.
- The use does not falsely imply a sponsorship or endorsement by, or a partnership or affiliation with, Citrix.
Educational and Informational Purposes
Citrix word marks (but not logo marks or other graphic depictions of Citrix marks) may be used in an informational context to describe the subject matter of an educational or informational program, such as training presentations and “how-to” videos, provided that such use otherwise complies with these Trademark & Copyright Guidelines and the following requirements:
- The Citrix mark appears less prominently than the rest of the program title, and is used only in a referential context.
Correct: “ABC EDUCATION SERVICES Presents: An Introduction to Citrix Endpoint Management™ for Beginners”
Incorrect: “Citrix Endpoint Management™ 101”
- The subject matter must actually relate to the specific Citrix product or service referenced.
- The use does not falsely imply a sponsorship or endorsement by, or a partnership or affiliation with, Citrix.
- Any printed or online materials relating to the program must include proper attribution symbols, a trademark notice statement (see Attribution and Notice) and a disclaimer statement similar to the following example:
The statements made and opinions expressed herein belong exclusively to ABC EDUCATION SERVICES and are not shared by or represent the viewpoint of Citrix Systems, Inc. This presentation does not constitute an endorsement of any product, service or point of view. Citrix makes no representations, warranties or assurances of any kind, express or implied, as to the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, availability or currency of the content contained in this presentation or any material related to this presentation. In no event shall Citrix, its agents, officers, employees, licensees or affiliates be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of profits, business information, loss of information) arising out of the information or statements contained in the presentation. Any reliance you place on such content is strictly at your own risk.
If the program is presented only in audio format, without any visual aids or physical or online materials, the notice and disclaimer statements must be read out loud to the audience at the beginning of each presentation.
Provided that such use complies with these Trademark & Copyright Guidelines, Citrix word marks may be used on websites that operate solely for a noncommercial, informational purpose concerning a Citrix product or technology. Use of Citrix logos on such sites is expressly prohibited, except as permitted under an applicable agreement with Citrix.
PROHIBITED USES OF CITRIX TRADEMARKS
Unless otherwise provided in these Trademark & Copyright Guidelines or in a separate agreement with Citrix, use of Citrix’s logos, company names, trademarks, product names, or images of Citrix products by third parties in marketing, promotional or advertising materials is prohibited, as such use may create the perception that Citrix endorses or sponsors the product, service or promotion. This section applies to use of marks that are the phonetic or foreign language equivalent of Citrix trademarks.
Company or Trade Names
You may not use or register, in whole or in part, Citrix, or any Citrix trademark, including Citrix-owned graphic symbols, logos, icons, or any version thereof, as a company name or trade name or as part of such a name.
Third Party Product Names
Citrix trademarks may not be used by a third party as part of that entity’s product, service or trade name without an express written agreement from Citrix authorizing such use. Licensees should consult their license agreements to determine whether and under what circumstances they can use Citrix trademarks in this manner.
Citrix word marks (but not logo marks or other graphic depictions of Citrix marks) may be used to refer to Citrix’s products and services without an express license from Citrix, provided that such use is in compliance with these Trademark & Copyright Guidelines and any other applicable policies. At a minimum, permissible use assumes that the Citrix trademarks are not larger or more prominent than the rest of the surrounding text, no stylized Citrix trademarks or logos are used, proper marketing and attribution is used for all Citrix trademarks, a conspicuous disclaimer is used indicating that any third party goods or services are not sponsored or endorsed by Citrix, and nothing in the use would lead consumers to believe that there is an association or affiliation with Citrix that does not exist.
Domain Names, Meta Tags and Hidden Text
YOU MAY NOT INCORPORATE CITRIX TRADEMARKS IN ANY DOMAIN NAME OR IN ANY META TAG OR OTHER HIDDEN TEXT IN A WEB PAGE. Any violation of this policy may result in immediate termination of any license, partnership, certification, reseller or employment agreement, and/or in legal action.
Example: “mynetscaler.com” “Citrix-xendesktop.com” “mypodiospace.com”
Partner, Certification and Program Trademarks
Citrix owns a number of trademarks that support various Citrix Programs, including but not limited to the following:
- Citrix Certified Professional
- Citrix Certified Associate
- Citrix Certified Expert
- Citrix Partner Solution Advisor
- Citrix Partner Silver Solution Advisor
- Citrix Partner Gold Solution Advisor
- Citrix Partner Platinum Solution Advisor
- Citrix Partner System Integrator
- Citrix Partner Independent Software Vendor
- Citrix Partner Service Provider
- Citrix Partner Distributor
- Citrix Ready
- Citrix Authorized Learning Center
- Podio Preferred Partner
These marks are expressly reserved for approved participants in the applicable program, and for the sole purpose of claiming participation in such a program or meeting the requirements certification. Please refer to your agreement with Citrix for more information on proper use of Citrix Program marks.
Use of Citrix trademarks in the titles of online and printed magazines, periodicals, book series, and other serial publications is expressly prohibited without a license. However, Citrix trademarks may be used on the covers of such publications and in the title of single-issue books, provided that such use complies with these Trademark & Copyright Guidelines and the following terms:
- Your name, logo and/or trademark must appear more prominently than the Citrix trademark.
- Include on the publication and all related materials a trademark notice statement (see Attribution) and a disclaimer statement similar to the following example:
The statements made and opinions expressed herein belong exclusively to the author/s and reviewer/s of this publication, and are not shared by or represent the viewpoint of Citrix Systems, Inc. This publication does not constitute an endorsement of any product, service or point of view. Citrix makes no representations, warranties or assurances of any kind, express or implied, as to the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, availability or currency of the content contained in this publication or any material related to this publication. In no event shall Citrix, its agents, officers, employees, licensees or affiliates be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of profits, business information, loss of information) arising out of the information or statements contained in the publication. Any reliance you place on such content is strictly at your own risk.
- Use of the Citrix trademark must not suggest an endorsement or certification by Citrix, or a sponsorship or affiliation with Citrix.
- With respect to books, Citrix trademarks may be used as the first word in the title of a single publication. Use of a Citrix trademark in connection with a title of a series of books requires a license from Citrix.
Any and all use of Citrix trademarks in connection with social media account names, profiles, monikers, avatars or handles is expressly prohibited.
Do not register any Citrix trademarks as Google AdWords or similar online advertising tools.
Merchandise and Promotional Items
The use of Citrix trademarks on any merchandise or promotional items such as t-shirts and mugs is expressly prohibited, regardless of whether such items are sold or given away, or provided only to a limited or internal group of people (i.e. employees or customers).
Use or imitation of Citrix’s trade dress, including the look and feel of Citrix’s web properties, marketing materials, product packaging, font, color scheme, and imagery associated with Citrix, is expressly prohibited.
False or Derogatory Use
Citrix trademarks may not be used in a manner that depicts Citrix or its products or services in a false or derogatory manner.
UNLESS EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED BY CITRIX OR PROVIDED FOR IN THESE TRADEMARK & COPYRIGHT GUIDELINES, ANY USE OF CITRIX LOGOS IS PROHIBITED. If you have received authorization from Citrix to use a Citrix logo (i.e. pursuant to a valid Certification or Partnership Agreement), you must adhere to the terms of your license or agreement, as well as the following general guidelines:
- All Citrix logos must be reproduced from materials supplied by Citrix.
- Never alter Citrix logos without authorization.
- Each representation of the Citrix logo should be consistent, undistorted, and clear.
TRADEMARK SYMBOLS AND TRADEMARK NOTICE STATEMENTS
Citrix trademarks may be designated by one of the three following symbols:
™: Used for trademarks with pending registration applications and for unregistered common law trademarks;
SM: Used for service marks with pending registration applications and for unregistered common law service marks;
®: Used for marks registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Please refer to the Citrix Trademark List for information on the proper designation to use in connection with specific marks.
Regardless of whether the ™, SM or ® symbol is used, the trademark symbol should be placed immediately after the mark in superscript. If the document cannot be typeset in superscript, the symbol may be set in normal type and enclosed in parentheses.
Example: Citrix Gateway™ or Citrix Gateway (TM)
Citrix’s practices regarding when, where and how often to use trademark symbols differ depending on whether the underlying materials will only be available in the United States, or whether their distribution will extend to foreign countries.
- Distribution Limited to the United States - Although proper trademark attribution is required, trademark symbols do not need to be displayed each and every time a Citrix mark is used. The following scheme sets forth the minimum scope of trademark attribution for Citrix marks:
- Prominent Uses: A trademark attribution symbol is required on all prominent uses of Citrix marks, such as on packaging, brochures, labels, headlines, headings, sub-headings, advertisements, White Papers and marketing materials.
- First Use in Text: A trademark attribution symbol is required upon the first use of a Citrix mark in text or body copy, even if the mark has appeared with a trademark symbol in the same material (i.e. in the headline or another prominent use).
- Subsequent Uses: An attribution trademark symbol is not required for any subsequent use of a mark in the same text, unless use of the symbol would avoid ambiguity.
- Logos: An attribution symbol is required with every use of a Citrix logo.
- Distribution Outside the United States - Do not use trademark symbols on materials distributed solely outside the United States, but be sure to include an appropriate Trademark Notice Statement.
Trademark Notice Statement
Any material displaying a Citrix mark must also include the following Notice Statement:.
“[list the individual Citrix marks appearing in the material, using proper trademark symbols for each] are trademarks of Citrix Systems, Inc. and/or one or more of its subsidiaries, and may be registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office and in other countries.”
Example: “Citrix, Citrix ADC and Podio are trademarks of Citrix Systems, Inc. and/or one or more of its subsidiaries, and may be registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office and in other countries.”
Use of Citrix’s proprietary copyrighted material is strictly prohibited without prior approval from Citrix. Such materials include, but are not limited to, content and text displayed on Citrix’s website, White Pages or other documentation, photographs, diagrams, videos, images, and sound clips.
If authorized, your use of Citrix’s copyrighted material must be accompanied one of the following statements, which should be prominently displayed and reference the year/s the material was created:
“Copyright [Year/s] Citrix Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.”
“© [Year/s] Citrix Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.”