Large Scale Network Address Translation
The NetScaler ADC now supports NAT44 Large Scale NAT (LSN) and is compliant with RFC 6888, 5382, 5508, and 4787.
The phenomenal growth of the internet has resulted in the shortage of public IPv4 addresses. CGN provides a solution to this issue by maximizing the use of available public IPv4 addresses by sharing few public IPv4 addresses among a large pool of Internet users. CGN is a collection of technologies and NAT44 is one of them.
NAT44 LSN translates private IPv4 address in public IPv4 addresses. It includes network address and port translation methods to aggregate many private IP addresses into fewer public IPv4 addresses. NAT44 LSN is designed to handle NAT in large scale.
The LSN feature of the NetScaler ADC is very useful for Internet Service Providers (ISPs), carriers, and in enterprise data centers, providing millions of translations to support a large number of users, and at very high bandwidth throughput.
Note: Large Scale NAT is also called Carrier Grade NAT.
The following are some of the sub-features of LSN on a NetScaler ADC:
* Mapping: Support of Endpoint-independent mapping (EIM), Address-dependent mapping ( ADM), and Address-Port dependent mapping.
* Filtering: Support of Endpoint-independent filtering (EIF), Address-dependent filtering, and Address-Port-dependent filtering.
* Quotas: Configurable limits on number of ports and sessions per subscriber.
* Static Mapping: Support of manually defining an LSN mapping.
* Hairpin Flow: Support for communication between subscribers or internal hosts using public IP addresses.
* ALGs: Support of application Layer Gateway (ALG) for FTP, ICMP, and TFTP protocols.
* LSN Clients: Support for specifying or identifying subscribers for LSN NAT by using IPv4 addresses and extended ACL rules.
* Deterministic/ Fixed NAT: Support for pre-allocation of block of ports to subscribers for minimizing logging.
* Logging: Support for logging LSN session for law enforcement.