Today at Citrix Synergy 2019, we are excited to introduce a new Citrix desktops-as-a-service (DaaS) solution called Citrix Managed Desktops. Citrix Managed Desktops is designed to be the simplest and fastest way to deliver Windows apps and desktops from Azure to any device from anywhere.
This cloud-hosted solution is a turnkey service that enables any organization with any level of IT expertise to quickly deliver Windows-based applications and desktops to their workforce. Architected as a one-stop, pay-as-you-go service, it includes everything you need to securely deliver desktops and applications to any device from the cloud with simplicity.
Coming Soon: Day 1 Support for Windows Virtual Desktop
Citrix Managed Desktops will begin a phased rollout starting in Q2 2019 to qualified U.S. customers as part of an early adopter program, followed by general availability with global release in 2H 2019. The initial solution offering will be based on a Windows Server desktop in anticipation of Day 1 support of the upcoming Microsoft Windows Virtual Desktop multi-session Windows 10 experience when it releases.
First-Time Innovations and Packaging Options
Citrix Managed Desktops is unique from our existing Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops offerings as well as other desktops-as-a-service solutions. It introduces a lot of technology innovations and provides an easier way to transact with Citrix and our partner community. Here are a few of our “firsts” with Citrix Managed Desktops:
- Buy Everything from Citrix: When Citrix Managed Desktops is made generally available, it will be the first time you can buy Citrix management services and associated Azure compute needed to deliver your Windows virtual apps and desktops. Customers will also have the option to bring their existing Microsoft licenses such RDS CAL for Windows Server workloads or eligible Windows (for e.g. E3/E5) licenses for Windows 10 workloads. Citrix will make it possible to purchase RDS SALs directly, simplifying the transaction.
- Monthly or Term Pricing: From a packaging perspective, this will be the first time Citrix is offering the entire virtual apps and desktop solution in a monthly or term-based consumption model. You can purchase the Citrix service and Azure consumption funds in a monthly or term-based model, giving you pricing flexibility to align with your business needs. Estimated monthly cost will vary based on desktop-type and usage, but you can start with a simple Windows instance to support a frontline worker for as little at $30 per user, per month, including Microsoft licensing and Azure compute (based on a 40-hour work week on a term contract).
- Domain Joined or Non-Domain Joined: On the technology front, this is the first time the virtual desktop can be domain joined or non-domain joined. This is important because it means that the administrator can rapidly provision a desktop to an external user — like a contractor or seasonal worker during a project or a busy season — to ensure that they are accessing resources from a secured desktop. It also gives you the option to join that virtual desktop to your existing domain to address new user demand such as an influx of new users from a merger or acquisition. If you would prefer to integrate the Citrix Managed Desktops solution with your on-premises Active Directory implementation, Citrix has gone the extra mile to radically simplify that integration making it easy to integrate Azure-hosted virtual desktops with your on-premises Active Directory.
- Multi-Region Support: Customers can easily deploy and manage workloads in multiple regions in the world to ensure the apps and desktops are closer to your end users for optimal performance. At launch, we will support four regions: U.S. East, U.S. West, Western Europe and Australia East. We expect to support additional regions in future.
- Citrix Provides Desktop Image: This is the first time Citrix is providing a basic Windows desktop image with the Citrix Virtual Delivery Agent pre-installed, making it easy for you to deliver virtual desktops quickly to any user. In addition, Citrix is periodically providing updates to that image to ensure it is easy for every user to access the latest Citrix innovations and Microsoft updates. You will also have the option to bring you own desktop image.
- Built with Partners in Mind: Citrix is working to include a new, built-in multi-tenant management UI that allows channel partners to build services directly on top of Citrix Managed Desktops, enabling customized services for vertical markets.
- Coming Soon — SD-WAN Support: Citrix Managed Desktops will soon have integration with SD-WAN technology. The integration will simplify network connectivity from your cloud-hosted desktops to your on-premises resources such as Active Directory and data sources. This integration can also help optimize the remote-access experience for end users to Office 365, Microsoft Teams, and more. Together Citrix Managed Desktops and SD-WAN technology will give both IT and users reliable connectivity that is quick and easy to set up.
It’s About Time to Value
While Citrix provides a broad range of powerful, flexible virtual app and desktop solutions, Citrix Managed Desktop is all about simplicity and speed of delivery. If you are interested in finding out if Citrix Managed Desktops is the right solution for you, visit our website.
For Citrix Investors
This release contains forward-looking statements which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. The forward-looking statements in this release do not constitute guarantees of future performance. Those statements involve a number of factors that could cause actual results to differ materially, including risks associated with the impact of the global economy and uncertainty in the IT spending environment, revenue growth and recognition of revenue, products and services, their development and distribution, product demand and pipeline, economic and competitive factors, the Company’s key strategic relationships, acquisition and related integration risks as well as other risks detailed in the Company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Citrix assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking information contained in this press release or with respect to the announcements described herein. The development, release and timing of any features or functionality described for our products remains at our sole discretion and is subject to change without notice or consultation. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not a commitment, promise or legal obligation to deliver any material, code or functionality and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions or incorporated into any contract.