Let’s face it. “Data Sprawl” is a new reality and a significant challenge for today’s IT infrastructure. As digital natives enter the workforce, they add tablets, smart phones, and virtual desktops to meet their productivity needs. Current enterprise mobility trends highlight the evolving nature of work and emphasize the need for organizations to both empower and manage employee mobility in order to meet security, agility and productivity demands.
- Businesses are on pace to employ 3.1 billion connected things in 2017
- 3+ devices are used daily by an employee for work activities
- 61% of workers report working outside the office at least part of the time
And these devices are used to create content. Content that is stored on devices, in the cloud, in company storage zones such as SharePoint and One Drive, and on personal cloud systems. With each new device and system added to a network, a company’s collective “data sprawl” becomes even broader, and left unattended, it leads to enormous problems. Enterprises must innovate to meet the storage and access requirements of employees without risking the security and compliance of their data that IT demands.
Drive Mapper: Connecting to, and Protecting Data
Citrix ShareFile helps IT regain control over how corporate data is stored, accessed, synced, and shared, both in the office and in mobile environments. As a content collaboration platform that focuses on security, productivity, and infrastructure modernization, ShareFile gives IT the data security and control they need while delivering on the mobility needs of users.
Drive Mapper allows users to connect an account as a mapped drive on the Windows file system, without performing a full sync of account content. Only a small cache of data is maintained on the local hard drive, significantly reducing the local storage footprint. Drive Mapper supports access to Network Drives, SharePoint, One Drive, most ECM systems, Restricted StorageZones, and Personal Cloud Connectors.
Drive Mapper Benefits for IT:
- Virtualization Support: IT can use the same file sync-and-share solution across both physical and virtual endpoints, and across on-premises and cloud storage. And because Drive Mapper is stored as a cache on a user virtual desktop, it reduces unnecessary network traffic in the data center.
- Storage Flexibility: Store files on-prem, in public clouds, in private clouds or any combination. The same file sync-and-share solution experience is used across both physical and virtual endpoints.
- Reduced Storage Costs: Files can be stored in multiple locations without the need for duplication on devices or storage zones.
Drive Mapper Benefits for Users:
- Anywhere, Any Device Access: Connect a ShareFile account as a mapped drive on the Windows file system, without performing a full sync of account content.
- Flexibility: Provide a single point of access to multiple data repositories, including networks drives, OneDrive, SharePoint, and personal cloud repositories.
- Faster Virtual Connections: Because the Drive Mapper client does not sync files into the virtual desktop; files are fetched from their respective source only when a user opens that file, the virtual desktop integration is more efficient.
Optimized for the Unique Requirements of Virtual Environments
More than 100 million people use virtualization products like Citrix XenDesktop and Citrix XenApp, and benefit from the increased flexibility and security that virtualization provides. By using Drive Mapper and StorageZone Connectors, ShareFile gives users the ultimate flexibility, providing a single point of access to multiple data repositories, including networks drives, OneDrive, SharePoint, and personal cloud repositories.
Bottom line? ShareFile is the only file sync-and-share solution optimized for virtual desktops. Organizations can leverage existing investments and mobilize network shares, SharePoint, Personal Cloud repositories, or any other ECM System while optimizing load times for streamlined used in a VDI.
How does ShareFile compare with other File Sharing solutions?
ShareFile was the first in the industry to offer choice in where your data is stored — whether on-prem or in the cloud. ShareFile helps ease the transition to new data/infrastructure, as well as manage costs and maintenance as new systems are deployed or old systems are retired. Most file sync-and-share solutions are not designed for the unique storage and performance requirements of hosted environments and support a limited range of endpoints. ShareFile Drive Mapper supports Citrix, Microsoft, and VMWare environments, allowing simple, quick setup and a consolidated view of storage resources.
Users can download the application within the ‘Apps’ tab of their ShareFile account, or administrators can access the Citrix.com downloads page. Admins also have the option to configure and push this to their users for faster more controlled rollout and support.