October may be National Cyber Security Month, but for today’s IT professionals, security doesn’t need a special month to raise their awareness to its challenges.
Mobile devices and BYOD have brought unprecedented agility to the enterprise, allowing users to collaborate, access information and get serious work done. Today’s mobile workforce has come to depend on the ability to work and collaborate anywhere, with seamless access to all the resources their work involves—including both apps and data—on any device they use.
Along with this mobile user freedom and agility, however, have come exceptional security challenges. Loss or theft of confidential company data and loss of control of how, where, and who is responsible for these security breaches of critical company data.
For IT, the challenge is to provide this anytime, anywhere access while maintaining security and control. Many of today’s professionals prefer to leave their laptop behind and carry a tablet, smart phone, or work in a virtual environment. IT must manage both the security of data on unmanaged business and personal devices and secondly, deliver the ability to securely view and edit data while mobile.
In a timely research report, Seclore, provider of the new Citrix ShareFile rights management technology, surveyed over 200 CISOs about trends in data-centric security. With almost every survey participant (98 percent) reporting that sensitive data loss is a top or significant concern, and many claiming that it is likely their business has already lost data via several routes in the last 12 months, security is obviously a hot button for CISOs.
Some of the top conclusions from the ESG Report, “Securing Information in the Age of External Collaboration,” included:
- Loss of sensitive information is a top concern and is assumed to be happening. While 98 percent of respondents cited the loss of sensitive data as a top or significant concern, many believe it is very or somewhat likely that sensitive data had been lost or accessed inappropriately in the last 12 months. Commonly stated reasons for data loss include emails inadvertently sent to the wrong person (67 percent), unauthorized access (64 percent) and lost portable storage devices (61 percent).
- Loss of information due to human error continues to be a concern, but IT must also work to prevent theft. 56 percent of respondents said it’s very or somewhat likely that files had been stolen by partners, contractors or customers (with 28 percent saying it’s very likely), as well as 58 percent saying the same about files being stolen by employees and malicious software (60 percent).
- IT faces a new set of challenges and requirements when protecting sensitive data assets. The need to collaborate with third parties makes file sharing a common occurrence, which can also pose as a security threat if information is accessed by an unauthorized party. In fact, 34 percent of respondents noted that 26 to 50 percent of their employees regularly share files with individuals external to their organizations. Other challenges include hybrid IT, the rise of the mobile workforce and shadow IT.
Download the full report HERE.
Today’s organizations must deliver mobility and virtualization of both apps and data to their employees. With the newfound freedom that mobility brings, organizations can’t forget to protect data and applications wherever and whenever access is requsted, but they must also ensure and maintain compliance. Therefore, IT must provide solutions that meet both sides of this challenge for customers to be secure and compliant.
Citrix ShareFile helps organizations embrace user mobility requirements by offering a solution that enables employees to work and collaborate from anywhere, on any device, on any network and any cloud. This “best-of-both-worlds” approach gives users true enterprise-class data services across all mobile devices, while allowing the business to meet strict corporate security and compliance requirements. Users can access and sync all of their data from any device or any location and securely share it with people both inside and outside (third parties, customers, contractors, etc.) the organization for easy collaboration and enhanced productivity. ShareFile is flexible enough to meet enterprise needs; secure enough to satisfy corporate policies; and easy enough for everyone to use.
Join us on October 4 and 7, when ShareFile is delivering a Webinar, “Protect Your Data. Stay Compliant. Remain productive.” This security webinar focuses on current and upcoming compliance regulations and how you can control how data is accessed, stored and shared across your organization – and ensure it is protected in each stage. Click the links below to register or get more information about our Citrix ShareFile product, and security solutions.
- Oct. 4 webinar: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/9144823303168292868
- Oct. 7 webinar: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5828475231958706692
- Citrix Security and Compliance Page
- A Secure IT-approved Alternative to Personal File Sharing
- ShareFile Rights Management
- How ShareFile Works to Prevent Data Loss and Meet Compliance Requirements
- ShareFile Enterprise: Built for business. Trusted by IT