I am pleased to announce that you can now try XenApp 7.13 in the Microsoft Azure Marketplace. This offering is the latest addition to our already existing portfolio in the Azure Marketplace, which includes offers such as NetScaler VPX (BYOL) and ShareFile StorageZones Controller.
Benefits of XenApp in the Azure Marketplace
Trying XenApp in the Azure Marketplace is a great way to get started with XenApp in a public cloud environment. Here’s why:
- Fully validated and tested – You can stand-up a complete XenApp 7.13 environment anywhere in the Azure cloud with a single-click. Azure currently supports 40 global regions, and growing, so you can deliver apps close to your user base. The XenApp Trial has been validated and is fully conformant to the Citrix on Azure reference architecture.
- Simplify evaluation – You can quickly evaluate what’s new in our latest XenApp release, without expensive manual setup time.
- Accelerate app compatibility testing – XenApp in the Azure Marketplace provides an easy way for you to test the hosting and end-user experience of delivering apps from the Azure cloud.
- Customize and extend – Adapt the Azure Resource Manager (ARM) solution template underpinning the XenApp offering to customize and extend your XenApp offering. For example you can create different XenApp topologies like multi-site, backup site, etc. to fit your specific needs
To get started with XenApp in the Azure Marketplace, all you need to bring to the table is an Azure subscription. We will handle everything else – really!
- Login to the Azure portal.
- Enter basic Azure settings like subscription and location information and general deployment settings, like credentials and machine sizes.
- Press “Create”.
Deployment typically takes about two hours. Once the environment has finished deploying, you will receive a notification email containing a link to StoreFront/NetScaler as the front-end of the deployment. Login using the same credentials you had specified in Step 2 above. All of the applications that you need to do basic administration of the Citrix environment will be available to you.
XenApp environment topology
The environment that is created will follow this model:
It’s a simple XenApp deployment consisting of:
- Desktop Delivery Controller
- License Server
- 2 VDAs
- NetScaler VPX Gateway
- RDP Jump Box for administration
All machines are deployed onto a single VNET and storage account within a Resource Group. To delete the deployment after use, you can simply delete the Resource Group.
Under the hood
Powering our XenApp deployment in the Marketplace is an ARM template. ARM Templates are declarative JSON files that can be used to create and configure complex multi-VM solutions in Azure. You can now create your own unique and repeatable XenApp topology in Azure by creatively extending our template. To view the XenApp template, follow the Template Link URL in the deployment.
There are some limitations of this environment. This offering is intended as a trial, not production. After the 30 day free trial, you can spin up a new environment. Also, while there are no Citrix license fees to deploy the trial, you will be charged by Microsoft for standard Azure IaaS consumption (compute, storage, networking etc).
We’re looking forward to your feedback. For example, what use-cases would you like to see the production version address? Please use the Citrix discussion forums or even the comments section within this blog post to start a conversation with us.