Citrix Summit 2016 is underway in Las Vegas this week and for the first time-ever, Citrix is announcing not one, but two releases of XenApp and XenDesktop on stage.
Now available for download on Citrix.com is XenApp 7.7 and XenDesktop 7.7, released on December 29th, 2015. Today at Summit 2016, Citrix also announced an upcoming 2016 Q1 release of XenApp and XenApp 7.8. One great event – Citrix Summit, two big product announcements – XenApp and XenDesktop 7.7 and 7.8.
This post covers both releases and showcases how the rapid pace of XenApp and XenDesktop release cycles allows Citrix to bring more innovation to our industry-leading application and desktop virtualization solutions. This accelerated pace empowers you to address more app and desktop use cases with your existing implementation, accelerate the delivery of applications across the enterprise, and simplify IT management of end user computing.
XenApp and XenDesktop Releases 7.7 (Now Available)
XenApp 7.7 and XenDesktop 7.7 is available for download today on Citrix.com. This 7.7 release amplifies the ongoing relationship and integrated value between Citrix and Microsoft with new cloud provisioning and collaboration optimizations, enhances the flexibility of the FlexCast Management Architecture (FMA) across multiple geographical locations, and simplifies application management with the following key features:
- Comprehensive Skype for Business functionality within a virtual app or desktop. As a result of close collaboration between Citrix and Microsoft, this release of the RealTime Optimization Pack provides a fully native Skype for Business user experience within a virtual app or desktop, as well as high-quality voice and video.
- Extended integration with the latest Microsoft platform. You can now rapidly provision virtual desktops in Microsoft Azure leveraging the Machine Creation Services (MCS) feature of XenApp and XenDesktop. In addition, Citrix Provisioning Services now supports the on-premises provisioning of Windows 10 virtual desktops.
- Enhanced image provisioning technology. Rapidly provisioning desktops or server images simplifies patch management, conserves storage, and protects base image configurations. This release introduced a number of improvements in Provisioning Services technology including support for NVIDIA GRID GPU performance enhancements on vSphere, FIPS compliant communication, in-place upgrades of target device software, support for modern pre-boot environments, extended license grace period, enhanced APIs and more.
- Simplified management across geographically dispersed deployments through zones. The new multi zone management functionality allows you to deploy a XenApp site that spans multiple locations, or zones, therefore streamlining multi-site management by enabling you to publish apps across all zones from one console.
- Improved application management and monitoring. now have more flexibility monitoring and managing your deployments. You can now limit the number of resource-intensive applications running on a single server to preserve scalability and performance. You can be proactively notified of error conditions or excessive usage making it easier to contain issues before they impact the entire deployment while also leveraging new usage reporting capabilities to provide detailed insights into resource utilization.
XenApp and XenDesktop Releases 7.8 (Coming 2016 Q1)
Announcing the upcoming availability of XenApp and XenDesktop 7.8!
Remember all the features and functionality of 7.7 are also incorporated into 7.8, making the pending XenApp and XenDesktop 7.8 release the most feature-rich release of XenApp and XenDesktop on the FlexCast Management Architecture to date. This release is focused on enhancing application management and delivery, optimizing the user experience while increasing server scalability and extending the flexibility of the architecture to be more robust based on vertical and user needs.
The 7.8 release of XenApp and XenDesktop offers the following benefits:
- Simplifying app management by layering apps onto a master OS image with AppDisk. New AppDisk technology allows admins to package and manage applications independent of their master OS image alleviating the management complexity of multiple, departmental-based images. AppDisk makes it easy to install or update applications without impacting the golden desktop or server image.
- Integrated AppDNA compatibility testing for applications layered with AppDisk. AppDNA extends the layering benefits of AppDisk by providing instant application compatibility reporting and layer reordering for assigned AppDisks. Now an admin will be able to validate and remediate any OS or inter-app compatibility issues before distributing the AppDisk applications to their employees.
- Seamlessly manage Microsoft App-V packages from the Studio admin console. XenApp and XenDesktop admins may now use Citrix Studio to manage the distribution of App-V applications to virtual desktops or XenApp servers without requiring separate App-V server and database infrastructure simplifying administrative processes and eliminating additional infrastructure costs.
- Improved app publishing experience. Large enterprises manage hundreds of applications across thousands of servers. The newly improved Studio has a more intuitive user interface for app publishing as well as new features that enable the admin to publish apps to multiple delivery groups, improved tag management for easier management and tracking across machines, apps and delivery groups.
- Enhanced graphics performance for virtual desktops. Optimizing the graphics performance for virtual desktops is critical to adoption and this release brings even more enhancements including the combination of our innovative Framehawk display technology with our high performance HDX 3D Pro graphics acceleration for Windows 7 and 8 virtual desktops.
- Higher scalability for innovative Framehawk technology. Newly released Framehawk remote display technology provides a brilliant user experience under very challenging network conditions and provides real-time interactivity on networks where packet losses impair performance. This release brings scalability enhancements that enable over 40% reduction in memory footprint, up to 20% increase in CPU efficiency, and over 50% improvement in bandwidth efficiency when scrolling via touch input, as well as a significantly increased frame rate for a smoother user experience.
- And more … Just to give you a few: the ability to record virtual desktops sessions using Session Recording for VDI to pinpoint and speed troubleshooting; enhancements to Citrix StoreFront like self-service password reset; and vertical specific enhancements like passing through the client name to published apps, which is very important for healthcare administrators.
This is just one of the many XenApp and XenDesktop announcements being made this week at Citrix Summit. Read about our new XenApp and XenDesktop Servicing Options that help you balance long-term planning with fast-pace product releases. Stay tuned to hear more about What’s New in XenApp and XenDesktop for the latest feature details and 7.8 availability information!