There are many things that most people enjoy doing; testing is likely not one of them.
No matter your comfort level with the subject matter, there is a lot of anxiety associated with the possibility of failing. You might have delayed scheduling or rescheduled a test you needed to take many times.
Because I am in the business of exam development, I have some great tips to help get you over some of that anxiety as you prepare for your next Citrix exam.
On the night before your test:
- Organize and lay out everything you will need on the day of your test. When you prepare in advance, you are less likely to forget important items you will need to know or take with you to the test center on the day of your test.
- Review the Exam Prep Guide for the associated exam one last time to make sure there aren’t any last-minute surprises The Exam Prep Guide includes pertinent information about the exam, like the topics to be covered, the resources used to develop the content and sample items, among other things.
- Sleep well; get plenty of rest.
- Verify the location of the test center and your appointment time.
On the day of your test:
- Have a balanced meal. Do not test on an empty stomach and do not overeat.
- Avoid drinking too much liquid. Citrix exams do not have scheduled breaks, so you will lose time using the restroom. On that note–use the restroom before your test.
- Dress appropriately; extra clothing may have to be inspected–call the test center before your test if you want to confirm whether you will need a sweater to keep warm.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment.
- Bring the appropriate IDs. You will need to present two forms of ID—both must have your signature and one must have your photo.
- Leave extra personal items you will not need to take the test in your car, at home or work. Most electronic devices aren’t allowed in the testing room.
During your test:
- Read the information and instructions on the opening screen of the test carefully. The information on the opening screen is unique to each exam and contains details that are important to keep in mind as you take the exam.
- Report any testing system related issues to the test proctor immediately. The test center administrator is trained to address technical issues pertaining to the testing workstation, and when unable to, he or she is required to escalate and file an incident report for tracking purposes.
- Budget your time wisely. Like most exams, Citrix exams are timed events. Luckily, the time clock, as well as item count, is visible within the exam at all times, so you will always know how many items, and minutes to complete those items, you have left.
As I said, it is unlikely you enjoy taking tests. It is a nerve-racking process. Regardless of your expertise, you owe it to yourself to come prepared for your next Citrix exam. And maybe, just maybe, you’ll start enjoying your test-taking experience as much as I enjoy test development!