How to Obtain a 90-day Trial NetScaler VPX(1000 Mbps) platinum license and activate the appliance.
At Citrix Ready, we receive lot of questions from our Partners on how to obtain trial NetScaler VPX (virtual) appliance and License the product. This could be for their internal testing and developments, to prepare Proof of concept (POC), to check interoperability with their products and so on.
While we have many articles that discuss how to download the VPX appliance and activate the trial license, I thought we can have a detailed document with step-by-step screenshots which covers all the steps to download and activate the appliance. This will also help IT admins and our customers who face challenge to download and license the NetScaler VPX appliance for the first time.
Here, I’ll detail step-by-step instructions to download the NetScaler 10.5 VPX-1000Mbps appliance and license the VPX with a 90-day Platinum Trial License. I’ll divide the steps in three sections.
- Download the NetScaler VPX Appliance and obtain the MAC address.
- Download the Platinum Trial License from mycitrix.com and activate the appliance.
- Upload the license file into the appliance.
Download the NetScaler VPX Appliance and obtain the MAC address
- Go to https://www.citrix.com/products/netscaler-application-delivery-controller/try.html
- Click “Download Now” under Try it free.
- Login with your existing Citrix account. If you do not have a citrix account already, click on “Create Citrix Account “ tab and complete the account creation form.
- Fill your information and accept the Citrix End User License agreement and click on Get License
- Once completed, you’ll be presented with the below screen. Click on Get Downloads Now
- Select the required NetScaler VPX download depending on your Hypervisor. (In this example, I’ll be downloading NetScaler VPX for XenServer. )
- You will also receive the NetScaler VPX Platinum Trail license code in your registered email.
- Import the VPX instance into your Hypervisor (in this example we are using XenServer), and power ON the VPX instance.
- Once powered ON, go to the console session, you should see the below screen.
- Provide the NetScaler IP, subnet mask and default gateway information. Save the changes. The NetScaler will reboot at this point.
- Follow the below instructions to obtain the MAC address of your VPX instance. The MAC address is required to license your appliance, detailed in later steps.
- Log on to NetScaler CLI (console or using Putty), the default username and password is nsroot and nsroot respectively.
- Type shell and press Enter to go to the shell prompt.
- Enter command lmutil lmhostid -ether
The output of the command <lmutil lmhostid –ether> on the NetScaler VPX console shows the MAC address. Following is an example:
root@ns# lmutil lmhostid lmutil – Copyright (c) 1989-2007 Macrovision Europe Ltd. and/or Macrovision Corporation. All Rights Reserved. The FLEXnet host ID of this machine is “xxxxxxxxxxxx”
Download the Platinum Trail License from mycitrix.com and activate the appliance.
- Now open a web browser in your local machine and login to www.mycitrix.com and click on Activate and Allocate Licenses.
- Click on Don’t see your product?
- Enter the License code you received in your email (Step 7) and click Continue.
- Enter the MAC address (from Step 11.) in the Host ID field and hit Continue
- Check the details and hit Confirm.
- Save the License file in your local directory.
Upload the license file into the appliance.
- You can access the NetScaler GUI from a web browser. http://<NetScalerIPAddress> Please login with default username (nsroot)and password (nsroot)
- Enter SNIP, Hostname, IP address and Time Zone information. Or you could skip this step to add it later.
- Click on Licenses
- Click Browse and locate your license file downloaded in step 17.
- You will receive the below confirmation on successful upload of the License file. Reboot your VPX instance after License upload.
- After successful reboot, please login to the NetScaler GUI. Click on the Configuration tab, expand System -> Licenses. Check the License type and Model ID, and all the features should be enabled.
For information on NetScaler MIP and SNIP – http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX120318