Following up on our last article on Citrix Melio, I wanted to share some really exciting and, dare I say, industry-changing news with our Citrix community.
For those who have not yet had the opportunity to read my last blog post, I’ll start with a brief recap to bring everyone up to speed on Melio.
Melio is an infrastructure-agnostic software-based storage and data virtualization platform available to Citrix customers looking to simplify, enable and enhance their new or pre-existing Citrix Workspace environments.
Sold as a stand-alone product, Melio removes the complexity, constraints and costs associated with deploying, managing and operating traditional IT infrastructures by pooling and sharing storage resources across compute nodes in order to unify the management and scale-out of heterogeneous storage environments.
By aggregating storage resources into logical volumes that can be shared (read-and-write) across multiple compute nodes (physical, virtual, cloud-based), Melio provides the following benefits:
- Centralized data management and protection
- Application availability and scale-out
- Improved IT agility
- Enhanced operation efficiency
- Reduced IT infrastructure management complexity and cost
Rather than relying on traditional approaches to application availability and scale-out, which entail replicating data sets across nodes to ensure data can be accessed during unexpected outages, Melio customers leverage a highly available and dynamically scalable shared storage architecture that allows multiple compute nodes (application servers) to read and write to logical volumes concurrently, thereby enabling application availability, scale-out and load-distribution without the need to constantly replicate business-critical data across nodes to ensure its availability.
Melio also offers customers the ability to create their own hyper-converged infrastructures (using commodity compute and storage components) that provide comparable (and in many cases, better) levels of performance, resiliency and scalability to traditional high-end storage arrays at a fraction of the cost.
The “intelligence” of these systems, which is provided by the Melio software, is delivered to administrators at the host layer, enabling them to apply enterprise storage-management features and advanced data services across servers, volumes and workloads dynamically to meet constantly changing business demands.
Now that we’re reacquainted with Melio, let’s proceed with the news I’ve been stoked to share with you.
To begin, let’s suppose that in addition to using Melio to aggregate commodity hardware components into high-performing, highly available, elastic resource pools managed collectively to reduce administrative complexity, an organization could utilize its existing IP network as a means of interconnecting locally-installed (server-side) storage devices (SSDs and/or HDDs) amongst compute nodes for the purpose of amalgamation or “absorption” into common storage pools that are accessible (read-and-write) by each of the nodes contributing their local storage devices.
To put it another way, what if there was a way to construct a hyper-converged infrastructure using nothing more than industry-standard “off the shelf” components and an IP network? Besides the dramatically lower CAPEX and OPEX costs, can you imagine the possibilities?
- Citrix customers would be able to build their own IT infrastructures with minimal time and effort and at far lower cost than ever before in order to achieve the fastest time-to-value from their application, desktop and mobility solutions
- IT departments would be able to design and build infrastructures customized to meet the specific needs of their business-critical workloads, be it performance, availability and/or scalability, while simplifying data management and protection, enhancing IT agility and improving operational efficiency
- Organizations would be able to realize the economies large cloud providers have been enjoying for years
Well, instead of imagining what such a solution could do for you and your organization, how about downloading a copy of the Citrix Melio 6 Release Candidate, which includes the new Independent Storage Architecture (ISA) protocol, and see how you can start realizing these benefits today.
Click the icon above to view a demonstration of Melio 6 and the ISA protocol in action.
Using Melio 6, organizations can:
- Eliminate the need for external storage (SAN, NAS, DAS) with shared storage pools aggregated from server-based storage resources to reduce infrastructure cost and complexity
- Provide improved performance and scalability for hyper-converged architecture based on server-based storage resources, making it easy to scale-out performance and/or capacity by incorporating additional server-based resources
- Make shared storage resources accessible on-premise, across geo-distributed data centers and in hybrid clouds for workload availability and mobility
And Citrix administrators are able to:
- Deploy Citrix solutions with less time and effort than ever before for the fastest time-to-value
- Streamline image management while minimizing storage capacity requirements
- Ensure server and desktop OS images, user profiles and critical databases are highly available
- Enable a predictable and consistent user experience
- Scale seamlessly to ensure minimal disruption as environments grow and workload demands increase
- Build XenApp and XenDesktop farms spanning geographically-distributed data centers on an active/active storage architecture to reduce data management and provide high availability, load-balancing and cost-effective disaster recovery
There you have it!
By removing the need for external storage devices (arrays and switch fabrics), HBAs, iSCSI stacks and a mesh of connections, along with the conglomeration of proprietary tools used to manage each of these components, Citrix Melio 6 (and the new ISA storage protocol) introduces a shift in the storage paradigm and the IT industry as a whole — one that makes it significantly easier and less costly for our customers to deploy infrastructure upon which to securely deliver enterprise applications, desktops and data to their ever-expanding global workforce to enable the highest levels of productivity.
To learn more about Citrix Melio 6 and what it can do for your organization, visit http://www.citrix.com/products/melio/overview.html.
Until next time,