Control is a core requirement for delivering on the promises of security – but how can enterprise control align with a threat landscape that is constantly changing due to seemingly unbounded user and usage situations? And, how can this access be unified across all internal and external applications to both enforce security and provide for a superior user experience?
Today’s enterprise security control has to be effected across dynamic access situations that involve combinations of devices, networks, services, applications, locations and the policies designed to protect sensitive enterprise data. These situations can change multiple times throughout the day, as users work from different locations, utilize different devices and networks and access enterprise, SaaS and cloud-based applications to do their jobs.
In the “good old days” before rampant mobility and consumerization, access controls were applied just at the point of login. The evolution of access into highly dynamic usage scenarios has highlighted the need for contextual security, which enables security measures to match the situational-specific policies required to protect sensitive data.
Your enterprise exists outside of physical enterprise borders. Thanks to NetScaler with UnifiedGateway, enterprise security exists outside of physical enterprise borders. This unified approach to extending security controls for all access begins with a deep understanding of the trust characteristics of the device and situation, and results in the ability to defensively prove that required security measures are enforced for each specific access request.
NetScaler with UnifiedGateway introduces SmartControl
SmartControl is the new Citrix technology for providing contextual security across usage situations and device configurations. Using SmartControl, policies are enforced to:
- Perform endpoint analysis to assess device characteristics before allowing the device to access enterprise resources
- Assure required device security measures exist, including OS and patch levels, anti-virus and security suites, updated DAT files, watermarks and device certificates
- Enable Single Sign On (SSO) on a per-application basis for access to enterprise applications, SaaS and cloud-based apps
- Provide contextual security information to Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop to present only the approved applications and services for the dynamic access situation
- Configure a per-application MicroVPN for Citrix XenMobile users to encrypt and protect mobile applications with specific network functions
- Enable a user experience that consistently meets security policies as users move between devices, locations and other aspects of their daily lives
Contextual security demands that security keeps up with ever-changing user and usage situations. SmartControl enables enterprise security owners to dynamically adapt security measures to meet the access challenges of ever-changing user and usage situations. The result is the unification of access across device, user, location and usage to protect sensitive enterprise data in any situation.