Want to make user logins and app access nearly instantaneous? Interested in boosting storage performance for XenApp and XenDesktop and reducing storage costs by up to 80%? Have you been waiting for the latest FIPS-compliant app and desktop delivery solution?
Well, the wait is over and the Citrix mobile workspace journey just got better!
The new Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop 7.6, announced last month, is now available for download and trial. This release is the most advanced application and desktop virtualization solution Citrix has ever delivered – offering an unmatched combination of user experience, security and manageability on the industry’s only unified, cloud-enabled and mobile-optimized platform.
Here are some of the key highlights of version 7.6 that further enable organizations to deliver Windows as a service to any user on any device over any network or cloud:
Superior User Experience
- Instant app access – New and improved Pre-launch and Session Linger work in tandem to deliver virtual apps to users with a fast, local-like launch experience.
- Resilient connectivity – New Connection Leasing technology ensures users can access their apps and desktops even if the database is unreachable.
- Unauthenticated access – Anonymous Logon enables fast access to apps with their own authentication process—especially valuable in healthcare where every second counts.
- Enriched multimedia – Improved image sharpening and acceleration and DirectX/2D rendering capabilities deliver a superior user experience on any device.
- Choice of device – New clientless Receiver for HTML5, and native Receiver for Chrome, enable easy access to virtual Windows apps from users’ preferred devices.
- USB plug-n-play – Generic USB redirection, used for specialty USB devices such as dictation equipment, is USB 3.0 ready in 7.6, enabling plug-n-play operation with new Receiver versions coming for Windows and Linux.
- Unmatched standards – XenApp and XenDesktop 7.6 comprise the only unified apps and desktop virtualization solution that is FIPS 140-2 compliant and also in evaluation for Common Criteria.
- Enhanced authentication – New versions of Receiver support local and remote use of smart cards for accessing apps and desktops from Android, iOS and Linux devices.
- Content control – New clipboard content filtering and directional control policies enable admins to granularly control what can be copied into and out of a virtual workspace.
- Unified architecture – 3rd generation FlexCast Management Architecture (FMA) enables IT to deliver apps and desktops on-premises or in the cloud and scale with ease.
- Breakthrough storage performance – Provisioning Services 7.6 cuts storage costs as much as 80% by reducing IOPS by 99% and improving storage performance by 20X.
- Improved app management – New App Folders enable admins to better organize and more easily manage hundreds or thousands of published apps in Studio.
- Enhanced monitoring – Improvements to Director and EdgeSight include app usage reporting, real-time license alerts, hotfix inventory tracking and more.
- Unified communications – A new update to the HDX RealTime Optimization Pack for Microsoft Lync that supports Lync Server 2013 and the optimized delivery and use of the Lync 2010 client.
- Integrated environment – New StoreFront 2.6 aggregates new XenApp sites with existing XenApp farms to provide users with a single access point for all virtual apps and desktops.
- System Center integration – Citrix Connector 7.5 enables admins to use Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager to define and manage access to Citrix virtual apps and desktops.
- Simplified upgrades – New tools, videos and guides are available for smooth upgrading of your Citrix environment if you’re planning a Windows server migration.
To learn more, check out the What’s New in XenApp 7.6 and What’s New in XenDesktop 7.6 pages on Citrix.com. For more in-depth learning on 7.6, watch the recording of our September 10th webinar on the topic—which was virtually standing room only.
Customers Using XenApp 6.5 Today
We recognize that many Citrix customers continue to rely on XenApp 6.5 for their mission-critical apps. As such, XenApp 6.5 customers current on Subscription Advantage (SA) will be able to leverage many 7.6 features for their XenApp 6.5 farm. These features include: the HDX RealTime Optimization Pack for Lync, Provisioning Services, Citrix Connector for Systems Center Configuration Manager, Citrix Director, and the new versions of Receivers and StoreFront.
Who Should Upgrade to XenApp 7.6—and When?
Whatever version of XenApp you are currently using or have recently deployed, we highly encourage you to attend our October 7 webinar, an Introduction to XenApp 7.6 Upgrade Planning. It will be packed with: information about the advantages of the unified FMA platform of 7.6; guidance on integrating many of the latest components listed above into your current XenApp 6.5 environment; and how best to upgrade to 7.6 whenever you’re ready to make the move.
Exciting times are ahead as businesses embrace Citrix mobile workspaces and evolve to a software-defined workplace. XenApp and XenDesktop 7.6 are the cornerstone solutions of our vision—and we believe for your success forward.