When I think back on my career, I realize that I didn’t choose to be a recruiter. Like many other people, I fell into my career. What I really wanted to be was … BATMAN.
I wanted excitement. I wanted to make an impact. I wanted to solve complex problems. I wanted to change lives. I wanted to be the world’s greatest detective.
At some point reality set in. I couldn’t be BATMAN. One cannot become BATMAN. Not even with the wits, superhero – physique or inherited family fortune. By the way, do you have any idea how much it COSTS to be BATMAN?
So, finally realizing there could be only one BATMAN (except on screen where there have been at least 7) and that he wasn’t exactly, well, real, I decided on a career in law enforcement. I wouldn’t be wearing a cape or driving the Batmobile, yet there was a career path to becoming a detective. After graduating college in New York I moved to Florida and applied to various law enforcement agencies. I worked as a waiter and needed to find a steady job to pay the bills while I went through the hiring process.
My girlfriend at the time (now my superhero wife) talked me into applying for a role as a junior recruiter with an executive search firm. I thought I was taking a detour to pay the bills. Instead, I changed the course of my career.
- Excitement. Instead of the Face of Justice, I am the face of Citrix with a Justice League of recruiters competing for the best talent. Instead of Batarangs and fear, our secret weapons are our people, leadership, culture, and amazing products!
- Playing with cool technology. Each time I get to use a new Citrix solution, I feel like I have a new Bat-toy that makes me even more unstoppable.
- Making an impact. At Citrix I get to use data, research, and technology while accessing it anywhere, anytime to make my mark. With just one great hire I can significantly change the direction and success of Citrix!
- Solving complex problems. There is no situation that I am not prepared for. I plan meticulously and take on any challenge with restraint, solving problems, just like BATMAN. In some ways, I became a detective after all!
- Changing lives. At Citrix, we innovate. The people here are smart and curious and we get to help people live and work their way.
Thanks to BATMAN, I learned that it isn’t who you are underneath, it’s what you do that defines you. Citrix is an exciting company. I am passionate about what I do. I love the people I do it with. I make an impact. I solve problems. I change lives. This is who I am.
What defines you? How did you find your career? Share your story in the comments below.
CC image courtesy Spielbrick Films.