It’s all about speed and accuracy when you’re trying to meet the CIO’s deadline to launch a virtualization project — or complete a migration before the Windows XP support date ends in April 2014. A new Citrix AppDNA Application Migration Workbook gives you the detail you need to start a migration project and determine the time and costs needed. Use this Application Migration Workbook to determine if you should try manual testing or gain reassurance on your timeline with AppDNA application management software, an automated application management option.
In the February 2012, the Microsoft Springboard Series Insider newsletter painted a pretty urgent picture for enterprises who want to migrate to Windows 7: “First, IT pros need between 18 to 24 months to do a Windows 7 deployment from start to finish. On that note, the second thing is, if you were to start your deployment project on February 13th, with 784 days until the end of support for Windows XP, you would finish with less than 30 days to spare.”
Good news! You can shave off some migration time by eliminating the iterative testing and remediation cycles that come with manual testing. Save some time in your Windows 7 upgrade project timeline. You can assess the application compatibility of business critical applications in minutes versus days or weeks. The answer? Technology. Let the AppDNA application management software
– Automate application testing
– Show clear application remediation options
– Automate application preparation – physical or virtual
– Share insight to manage applications after the big migration project
The same idea of automating the pre-deployment work applies to virtualization projects. Enterprises are seeing real results with AppDNA automating up-front processes. For a Citrix XenApp migration project, one customer saved 89% of their testing time. The customer had estimated manual testing to take 5 people 140 days. Using AppDNA application management software, the team effectively saved 620 work-days. Read more about this AppDNA customer’s automated application testing experience in this case study.
Relying solely on manual application testing has a number of problems that cause time delays. Manual testing is
– inaccurate (due to human error and comprehensiveness)
– slow (many labs, many people, many scenarios required for testing)
– costly (many people in-house or via a system integrator, much time involved, multiple labs/machines needed)
– non-comprehensive (unlikely to catch majority of errors)
Automating application testing with the accurate, proven AppDNA software suite means you have a better chance of making deadlines – and staying within budget.
Should you be panicking or do you have enough time if you start soon and automate important parts of the migration with AppDNA software? Use the new Application Migration Workbook to
– Understand your environment
– Estimate the cost of manual application testing
– Calculate the cost of automated application testing
– Learn how automation can help you reach your deadline
– Save overall costs in the application migration project.
Download the AppDNA Application Migration Workbook here – and start planning your migration today.