I am here in San Francisco all this week attending Summit and Synergy. So I’ve decided to keep a diary of my time here so I can share my experiences of the sessions I attend and the people I meet.
Day 1 of Synergy and the conference center is now packed with the arrival of our customers. There is a great buzz around with colleagues and friends meeting up. Today was also keynote day, see below the highlight of the announcements I noted:
- GoToMeeting with HD Faces now available on iPad
- Acqusition of Virtual Computer
- Podio with ShareFile integration and sneakpeak of GoToMeeting/Receiver integration
- GoToAssist on Android
- GoToMeeting introducing StorageZones
- Citrix Receiver with Follow-Me data releasing in May
- Cloud Gateway 2
- HDX 3D Pro Deep Compression Codec
- Cloud Bridge 2 to be released in May
- Netscaler now the #1 internet delivery system
- One more thing…Project Avalon – enables Windows desktops and apps to be delivered as a cloud service
The TaaS team had another busy day with lots of customer interviews again. We are receiving excellent feedback to which we will implement into the product roadmap.
A couple of the team members are also presenting a session “The Ultimate XenDesktop 5.x troubleshooting workshop”. This is a popular session and repeated 4 times. Each of the sessions sold out.
So I try to attend as many sessions as possible, so what did I learn today?
- Personal vDisk, XenDesktop and StorageI attended a breakout session delivered by Mike Larkin and David Wagner where they covered a deep dive on XenDesktop personal vDisk. Mike and David covered areas around storage impact, which was negligible by the way and that the PvD can be place on a separate target to the base VM.
- Having talked to many support customers at Synergy, one particular issue came up several times when discussing XenDesktop. How to change the drive letter on your Personal vDisk. After searching around I found the following article which explains in great detail how to do this – http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX131432
- Implications for VDI.Can’t remember which session it was, but I did jump into the middle of a breakout session today where the speaker was talking about implications when deploying anything from a few users to thousands of users. The examples given were focused on finance and healthcare. They were more around best practices you should taken into consideration. I’ll pull the examples from the presentation once I locate the session number it was and post here.
- Desktop Transformation AcceleratorWho has heard of this? Some people I talked to didn’t. Desktop Transformation Accelerator is a FREE interactive XenDesktop assessment, design and deployment tool. It simplifies your desktop virtualization planning and installation with tools, decision checklists, best practices, peer benchmarks, documentation and how-to videos – all organized in a no-nonsense, step-by-step way.check out http://www.citrix.com/successaccelerator for more information.
- Optimizing virtual desktop performance over the WANAnother great session, one of the few Branch Repeater sessions this year. I used to support Branch Repeater when I was a technical trainer so wanted to see how the product has developed. Interesting what considerations you need to take into account when rolling out desktops to branch offices. Again, this session was driving alot of best practices which I will post once I download the presentation post Synergy.
Check out my daily diary below.
I also took lots of pictures during the event, you can find these on the Citrix Support Facebook site.