For those of you who don’t know me, I am Natalie Lambert and I do Receiver and CloudGateway product marketing. Confused? I understand…this is my second week on the team. For the past 2.5 years, I have run a product marketing group for XenDesktop. But now I’m ready for the next chapter and I’m super excited to join the CloudGateway team!
At this point you’re probably wondering what CloudGateway is. Rather than dump product specs on you, I’ll put it in the context of a press release I read last week from Gartner. It summarizes how the Personal Cloud will replace the traditional PC as the center of users’ digital lives by 2014. Steve Kleynhans, research vice president at Gartner said: “Major trends in client computing have shifted the market away from a focus on personal computers to a broader device perspective that includes smartphones, tablets and other consumer devices.” He also stated that, “Many call this era the post-PC era, but it isn’t really about being ‘after’ the PC, but rather about a new style of personal computing that frees individuals to use computing in fundamentally new ways to improve multiple aspects of their work and personal lives.”
Steve, I completely agree with you. It’s not about the “Post-PC” era. I believe that individuals don’t want to ditch their PCs. They want the freedom to use the devices, apps, and data they want, when they want it. For me, it’s during my “get ready for work” routine, where I wake up, check email from my Galaxy Tab, head to the gym for spin class, check my iPhone, get ready for work, and drive to the office – about half of the time, I need to open up a Word doc, edit something, and send it off prior to arriving at the office. Now, business IT departments don’t want to prevent this, but they are bound by security requirements to control the IT environment. This is CloudGateway – that point in the middle that ensures user freedom without sacrificing IT’s security and control.
Let’s take a look at Gartner’s five trends and how CloudGateway helps businesses. Gartner highlights that this new personal cloud area is driven by: 1) Consumeriation, 2) Virtualization, 3) “App-ification”, 4) The Self-Service Cloud, and 5) The Mobility Shift – I highly recommend reading the details on these trends here. But how does CloudGateway fit in?
- Consumerization: As consumerization takes off, employees are coming into the workplace with their own: devices, applications, data, and even expectations from IT. CloudGateway was designed to address these new realities. With CloudGateway, IT departments can provide employees with access to the apps and data they need to get their job done – in a secure manner, on any device. This means that regardless of which device I am using right now, I have access to all my work applications and data.
- Virtualization: Today’s organizations are already virtualizing their applications and desktops to provide employees access to them from anywhere. CloudGateway integrates with Citrix XenDesktop to deliver Windows desktops and applications to users on their preferred devices. Think of CloudGateway as the one-click portal to your business environment from your personal device. For me, this means that when I am on a PC with a big monitor, I get one-click access to my full blown work desktop, but when I switch to my tablet, I get one-click access to just the apps because my tablet screen just isn’t big enough to display that full desktop.
- “App-ification”: According to IDC, SaaS and Mobile Apps will increase 200% by 2015.(1) In the next three years, individuals will use less traditionally installed apps in favor of ones they can quickly get from an app store. Enter CloudGateway! It functions as a next-generation enterprise app store that aggregates your business’ applications – Windows, web, SaaS, and Mobile – and displays them on any device. This means that all my business applications are available to me on any device (see screenshots below). Better yet, CloudGateway’s single-sign on stores my passwords, ensuring I have one-click access to that app on all my device – super slick!
- The Self-Service Cloud: iTunes has changed how individuals expect to obtain content and CloudGateway meets these new expectations. CloudGateway becomes the enterprise app store for users’ business applications. IT can define comprehensive control policies that use the full context (user, device, network, etc.) to determine which apps and data should be provided and at what access level. Users get the “iTunes-like” self-service experience they crave.
- The Mobility Shift: This shift has been happening for some time. In fact, mobile device shipments exceeded desktop shipments beginning in December 2010. Ultimately, CloudGateway removes the dependency on a specific device. It gives users the freedom to select their own business applications on one device yet still getting seamless, single-click access to the same set of apps on any other device. Bottom line? I’m a walking productivity machine!
These trends are my realities every morning – but I’m excited that IT now has a way to support me. With CloudGateway, IT can aggregate all of the desktops, apps, and data that a user requires and presents it in an enterprise app store. This app store is available on any device (thanks to Citrix Receiver) so that my business apps, data, and desktops follow me wherever I go. And I’m sure I’m not alone. Are your employees like me and how do you plan to deliver these services? Let me know here or on Twitter @CitrixCG or @nflambert.
(1) Data sourced from the following: August 2011, IDC #229759, Volume: 1 Mobile Enterprise Software: Market Analysis; 1 July 2010/IDC