As mentioned in Peter Blum’s blog, XenClient 2.1 has released to web. Many of you may be using XenClient 2 in your environment and if you are, we now provide a simple way for you to upgrade the client hypervisor from XenClient 2 to 2.1 The feature is called ‘over-the-air upgrade’. It means that we’ve enabled simple and secure upgrades of the XenClient software from a Synchronizer or other web server. This will allow end users to upgrade to XenClient 2.1 without the need to boot CDs and means that IT can easily deploy new XenClient versions and fixes into their environment from a central location.
Provided below is a step-by-step guide to upgrading from XenClient 2 to 2.1. This facility will be available for XenClient releases going forward.
Step 1: Update your Synchronizer for XenClient from 2 to 2.1
- Its important to upgrade the Synchronizer to 2.1 before updating the XenClient client devices to 2.1
- These steps are covered in the Synchronizer admin guide
Step 2: Place the XenClient 2.1 update file in an HTTP location
- Find the packages.main folder (Figure 1) found on the XenClient install disk (after you’ve burned the iso to disk) on the root.
- Copy the packages.main folder to an http location that is accessible by your users. Remove any password requirements to access the folder and enable directory browsing.
Step 3: Download the XenClient 2.1 software update
- On your XenClient device, hit Ctrl-0 to take you to the XenClient UI called the Citrix Receiver for XenClient. Click on the System icon on the top right of the screen (Figure 2)
- Click on Software on the left menu bar
- In the Software Update box, enter the http location of the packages.main folder populated in Step 2
- Notice in the screen capture below, the current XenClient Version is 2.0
- Click on Check for Update. You’ll see a spinner and then the following screen see (Figure 3) letting you know that there is a newer version of XenClient available and asking if you’d like to download it.
- Click Download
- You will see a message under Software Update that lets you know that the download was successful (Figure 4) and to restart your device to apply the update.
Step 4: Restart XenClient
- Select Power on the top left of the Citrix Receiver for XenClient (Figure 5)
- You’ll see the option to Restart. This will reboot the XenClient platform and apply the XenClient 2.1 downloaded changes to the hypervisor
- You’ll see a dialogue box telling you that the updates are being applied (Figure 6)
- Notice that the XenClient Version now reads 2.1 (Figure 7)
Step 5: Upgrade XenClient Tools for all VMs
- After the upgrade to XenClient 2.1 is complete, uninstall the existing (2.0) XenClient Tools from all existing VM’s on the endpoint device.
- Open the Control Panel from the guest VM and uninstall Citrix XenClient Tools
- Reboot the VM
- Then, reinstall the new XenClient Tools (2.1) by opening Computer from Start Menu in the guest VM. Double click on the XenClient CD Drive
- Click on Setup (Figure eight) and follow the instructions (Install all components)
- Once this is complete, when you go to Control Panel in the guest VM you’ll see that Citrix XenClient Tools version will read as 2.1.0 (Figure 9)
- Please note that all of Step 5 will traditionally be done one time by a desktop administrator on the centrally managed image. Those changes are subsequently delivered to users when they connect to their Synchronizer for XenClient.
Congratulations! You’re done.
This is a simple, secure way to remotely upgrade the XenClient software. This will allow end users to upgrade to XenClient 2.1 without the need to boot CDs and means that IT can easily deploy new XenClient versions and fixes into their environment from a central location.