At our Synergy Barcelona show in October, we announced XenClient 2.1 which is an update to XenClient 2 that includes a number of amazing new product enhancements and improvements. Today I am delighted to announce that it’s officially released and available for download.
Citrix XenClient is the next evolution in local virtual desktops that takes a fundamentally different approach to client virtualization leading to blazing fast performance, secure isolation, and rock solid stability. It extends the performance, flexibility, and security of desktop virtualization to laptop users — and even lets them run multiple local virtual desktops on a single laptop—while providing effective control for IT with integrated corporate data protection and simplified Windows image management.
You can read about all the latest capabilities below and I’d also invite you to attend our upcoming master class webinar which is a technical deep dive into XenClient 2.1, plus read Angela’s blog to find out what our partners are saying about XenClient 2.1.
Here are the highlights of what’s new in this release:
- SIMPLIFIED WINDOWS IMAGE MANAGEMENT with dynamic layering provides an easier, more reliable, and more cost effective way of managing system updates with minimal impact to end users and more control and agility for IT. Today, IT managers typically deploy an initial Windows
image to employees who then often add their own applications and changes. This causes a mismatch from the originally deployed IT image and can introduce application conflicts and system incompatibilities which may lead to increased costs by triggering more helpdesk calls. The new dynamic layering feature in XenClient changes this paradigm by ensuring that IT defined images are enforced on a continual basis. This can greatly reduce helpdesk break/fix calls. With this new feature, an IT admin can now simply apply the changes they want to a ingle image in the datacenter and have it automatically sent out to their XenClient devices. This feature also reduces the risk of making changes to the desktop environment. If there are problems with an update, the Dynamic Image Management capability can simply undo the change – something difficult to do today in traditional environments. This feature can also decrease disruptions and performance degradations to users during updates. Rather than experiencing an often lengthy local install process, changes are downloaded in the background and applied to the user’s system in the time it takes to reboot Windows.
- XENCLIENT IS NOW LOCALIZED which allows end users around the globe to experience a more engaging and familiar experience when using the product. This release introduces client side support for German, French, Spanish, Japanese and Simplified Chinese languages. Citrix has seen tremendous traction with XenClient in international markets and this reaffirms our commitment to delivering capabilities our customers require to expand their use of the solution on a global basis.
- OVER-THE-AIR UPGRADES now enables simple and secure upgrades of the XenClient software from a Synchronizer or other web server. This will allow end users to upgrade to XenClient 2.1 without the need to boot CDs and means that IT can easily deploy new versions and fixes into their environment from a central location.
And if you want more detail, keep reading!
- DYNAMIC IMAGE ASSEMBLY allows the Synchronizer for XenClient to deliver a layered image that is dynamically assembled at runtime on a local XenClient system. This technology allows for single image management in the datacenter of a dynamic local virtual desktop running on many XenClient systems.
- DELTA IMAGE UPDATES allows the Synchronizer for XenClient to intelligently deliver only the changes between Windows image versions to a XenClient system. This system also allows administrators to roll forward multiple versions at a time. This ensures that dynamic local virtual desktops on XenClient endpoints are moved to the latest administrator defined Windows desktop automatically and efficiently.
- FAST SYSTEM UPDATES allows for minimal end user downtime when updating dynamic Windows images. Updates are transferred in the background to XenClient systems via the Synchronizer for XenClient. Once the update has been delivered locally, the next time the end user starts up
their system they are instantly moved to the latest version of the IT delivered Windows image. Even large changes such as new Microsoft Office versions or Windows service packs are applied in the time it takes to restart Windows, giving users immediate productivity.
- AUTOMATIC IMAGE LOCKDOWN will ensure that only IT approved changes and IT approved applications are installed on a dynamic local virtual desktop image running on XenClient. User changes outside of their user data and user profile are automatically purged by the system ensuring a clean, consistent environment on every boot.
- WINDOWS IMAGE ROLLBACK enables the undo button for Windows. This capability allows administrators to roll-back to a previous version of a Windows image in the time it takes to restart Windows. This reduces the risk of making changes to an environment as they can easily be rolled back.
- SELF-SERVICE INSTALL allows end users the flexibility to customize their environments by installing IT approved applications via Citrix Receiver for Windows. Citrix Receiver provides users with an integrated, easy-to-use storefront for Windows, web and SaaS applications.
- ENHANCED RELIABILITY through fixes and improvements for a number of issues identified after the original release such as 3D graphics stability, virtualized USB support, enhanced handling of multi-partition Windows images by the Synchronizer, and support for connecting Synchronizer to Active Directory systems with non-standard OU structures.
As you can see Citrix is continuing to quickly deliver new capabilities and enhancements to support our customers expanding deployments of the technology. If you have not tried XenClient yet, there has never been a better time to dive in and experience the power, performance, security, and worry-free computing it delivers. And please keep talking to us about your experiences with XenClient, we want to hear from our users about what you are doing with the product!
So download XenClient 2.1 now: http://www.citrix.com/xenclient/tryit
And Connect with Us Online: