We previously posted about PHDVirtual compatibility with XenServer. PHDVirtual is releasing version 5.3.
The new PHDVirtual release offers even faster backup and restore of virtual machines and more flexibility for disaster recovery of your virtual environment. PHD Virtual Backup and Replication will raise the bar for virtual machine backup and restore performance with a new optimized job processing engine and twice the number of data streams per VBA™ (Virtual Backup Appliance). The ability to easily deploy multiple VBA’s enables unparalleled enterprise scalability without the costs and complexity inherent in other solutions. Twice the number of data streams allows each VBA™ to process up to 8 backup and restore processes concurrently for maximum performance and throughput (Enterprise Version). Enhanced I/O engine optimizes job processing providing more linear performance improvements when using multiple data streams and multiple vCPU resources.
Virtual Machine Replication
Replicating virtual machines has never been easier, more flexible or more efficient. You can easily replicate virtual machines from a production site to a Disaster Recovery (DR) site to provide fail over capabilities giving you immediate access to your virtual machines, applications and data in the case of a significant DR event. The DR site maintains cold standbys of VMs that are ready to run in minutes when you need to quickly fail over. Intelligent data replication only replicates changed data, keeping VM’s up to date while optimizing replication performance and minimizing network impacts and data transmitted to the DR site.
A Unique Approach to Virtual Machine Replication
- Replicate Without Impacting Production – VM’s are replicated from your existing backups and backup storage without the need to perform additional snapshots. Other products require separate snapshots for both replication and backup, consuming additional resources and impacting your production environment.
- Intelligent Data Replication – Intelligent Data Replication leverages deduplication and compression to minimize the amount of data transmitted to the secondary site. During on-going replication, only the data that has changed on production VM’s is replicated, optimizing performance and bandwidth utilization of data transfer.
- Replication Seeding – Initial replication of VM’s may be “seeded” to the DR site using portable drives to minimize data transmitted over the WAN. After initial “seeding” only changed data is replicated over the WAN.
- Verify Replicated VM’s – A built in Test Mode enables you to validate replicated VM’s in the standby environment so you can be confident in your ability to successfully fail over in the case of a DR event.
DR Flexibility with OpenExport, OpenRestore™ and Mass Restore
Getting your backup data offsite and restoring your virtual environment from backups in the case of a DR event is easier than ever before. With Open Export and OpenRestore™ you can easily export VM’s from your backup storage for long term storage or archiving and VM’s are exported into standard OVF files so you can restore without any software. Mass Restore enables you to quickly and efficiently restore multiple VM’s from a single job so you can get your backup up and running quickly in the case of a DR event.
- OpenExport – Export VM’s from your existing backups for long term or offsite storage. VM’s are exported in standard compressed OVF format for portability.
- OpenRestore™ – Restore your virtual machines directly to your VMware hosts without the need to install PHD Virtual software.
- Mass Restore – Create and configure a single job to restore multiple virtual machines at the same time to reduce restoration time and complexity.
- Optimized Tape Friendly Backup – You can export standard, compressed virtual machine OVF files to provide efficient and optimized long term storage to tape. Virtual machines can be directly recovered to a host from your tape backups.
Benefits of PHDVirtual 5.3
- Backup and Restore Faster Than Ever Before
- Replicate Virtual Machines offsite for Disaster Recovery
- Replicate Without Additional Snapshots or System Impact
- Verify Replicated Virtual Machines with Test Mode
- Restore Multiple Virtual Machines in a Single Job
- Export Backups to Standard Compressed OVF files
- Optimized Support for Tape Backup Solutions
- Supports VMware ESX/ESXi and Citrix XenServer Environments
New Features in PHDVirtual 5.3
- New Job Processing Engine with I/O optimizations
- Up to 8 Concurrent Data Streams per VBA (Enterprise Edition)
- Virtual Machine Replication
- Virtual Machine Test Mode
- Mass Restore Virtual Machines
- Open Export of VM’s from Backup Storage to standard OVF
- Tape Friendly Backup Support
Watch it here