Today, at Summit Barcelona, we launched Citrix VDI-in-a-Box 5 – the easy all-in-one VDI solution for Small and Medium Businesses.
Let me highlight the key features in this release, and then share a “behind-the-scenes” view of the effort involved.
VDI-in-a-Box 5 has many exciting new features that make it a simple yet complete VDI solution for SMBs:
- Even simpler, more intuitive – we have completely revised and revamped the VDI-in-a-Box management console to make it even simpler, even more intuitive, with an expanded set of wizards and policy-based automation for all the key aspects of setting up and managing virtual desktops.
- Microsoft Hyper-V support – VDI-in-a-Box is an open architecture that supports multiple hypervisor platforms. With VDI-in-a-Box 5, you can deploy virtual desktops on Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix XenServer or VMware vSphere ESX/ESXi. Hyper-V support was requested by many prospects, so we are looking forward to the uptake with this feature. This release also adds support for the latest XenServer 6 and vSphere 5.
- Citrix licensing, order management integration – VDi-in-a-Box is fully integrated into the Citrix back-office systems so the order management and license delivery is consistent with other Citrix products. In addition, with VDI-in-a-Box, your license fulfillment is email based for simple quick license delivery.
- Citrix support, simplified all-you-can-eat pricing – Similarly, support is integrated for VDI-in-a-Box so customers can leverage Citrix support worldwide. In keeping with the simplicity theme, consuming support is simple with a single Maintenance SKU that includes all-you-can-eat support and product updates, upgrades and maintenance. We have also built a one-stop support portal with how-to videos on nearly every key aspect of the product, how-to guides, product documentation, support forums, and an online knowledge base. Access the support portal at http://support.citrix.com/vdi-in-a-box
- Faster multimedia performance with HDX 5.5 – This release incorporates the latest Citrix HDX 5.5 stack that further optimizes the performance of multimedia applications including real-time audio, improved webcam compression, and intelligent graphics rendering for fast, bandwidth-efficient multimedia.
- Support for over 1 billion devices with Citrix Receivers – Citrix Receiver is now tested and available on over 1 billion devices, ensuring that your VDI-in-a-Box virtual desktop can be accessed by users from literally any device.
Now for a behind-the-scenes look of what it took to make this happen. Since the acquisition of Kaviza in late May, our team has been working feverishly with the extended Citrix teams to build and deliver this release. The UI effort alone is significant – we have completely revised and updated the management interface, with usability testing to ensure we are delivering the simplest experience for Windows® administrators to setup and manage virtual desktops. This is akin to taking off all the skin on a patient and putting on brand new skin, and connecting all the nerve endings and muscles back together to make him functioning fully. We are excited to bring this new release to you, and we hope you find the new enhancements valuable.
Access our technology preview version at: http://www.citrix.com/vdi-in-a-box/try-it
Take the all new VDI-in-a-Box 5 for a spin and do let us know what you think!
If you are at Barcelona this week for Synergy and Summit, stop by our hands-on labs, geek speak sessions, and our technical demonstrations of VDI-in-a-Box!