Hot off the stage and press at Citrix Summit and Synergy 2011, Rackspace® announced the new Rackspace Hosted Virtual Desktop (HVD) platform during SUM134: Get ahead of the curve with hosted virtual desktops. The Hosted Virtual Desktop platform brings together Rackspace’s comprehensive hosting services with desktop virtualization solutions from Citrix and joint channel partners. The Rackspace Hosted Virtual Desktop Platform uniquely combines RackConnect®, best of breed partnerships and Fanatical Support® to deliver an unmatched solution in the marketplace. With this new offering, Cloud Service Providers, resellers and IT organizations—large or small—can make the move to hosted virtual desktops faster, easier and without massive capital expenditures.
Gartner reports that more than 70 million desktop units will be virtualized by 2014 (1) as well as that 60 percent of SMBs they have surveyed plan to deploy virtual desktops within the next year. With so much interest, the Rackspace Hosted Virtual Desktop platform provides an ideal platform on which to launch a hosted desktop virtualization campaign. Benefits include:
- Rapid Deployment – Enable desktop virtualization faster and easier with automated and real-time provisioning. Server virtualization, storage and networking are automatically configured and sized by Rackspace based on your requirements.
- CAPEX Reduction – Avoid the expensive CAPEX investments required to build a desktop virtualization infrastructure with a hosted solution where you only pay for the services you need. Scale and respond to fluctuating demand with ease and without capital commitments.
- Deeply Customizable – Tailor to your specific needs and chose from a portfolio of public and private cloud options. With RackConnect, you have the option to connect these platforms to build a scalable, flexible compute solution that offers the performance of dedicated servers with the flexibility and scalability of the Cloud.
- Industry Leading Service Level Guarantees – Have the confidence that your desktop virtualization solution runs on the infrastructure of the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. Rackspace’s Fanatical Support, 24x7x365 Data Center and Account Management Support and 1-hour hardware replacement guarantee keeps you connected.
- Faster time to market – Accelerate desktop virtualization initiatives by not having to master, build and configure an entire datacenter infrastructure. Server virtualization, storage and networking and automatically configured and sized by Rackspace based on your requirements.
We caught up with Chris Zagorski, Product Director of Enterprise Services of Rackspace live at Citrix Summit 2011. Have a look at what he had to say about the Rackspace Hosted Virtual Desktop platform in this video.
Citrix’s choice of desktop virtualization solutions, including hosted shared desktops and hosted VDI, allow you to choose the desktop that fits your needs. With a choice of subscription based, pay-as-you-go licenses and traditional perceptual licenses, your organization also has the flexibility to decide what purchasing model fits best. With some much flexibility and reduced barriers to entry, how will you use the Hosted Virtual Desktop Platform? What are some of the opportunities it opens and what are some of problems it solves?
- Desktop-as-a-Service – DaaS brings the power of hosted enterprise desktops and applications from the cloud to the masses, offering them the services they want in a simple, pay-as-you-go model. DaaS is a tremendous opportunity for service providers to expand beyond traditional service offerings—email, web portals, etc.—to a more comprehensive bundle built around the desktop that includes apps, data protection, IT services and business continuity.
- Reselling and partnerships – By partnering with Rackspace, channel partners and VARs can add Rackspace HVD to their portfolio of offerings, without the additional expenses associated with purchasing the hardware and hiring resources to manage the environment.
- Hybrid clouds – Connect disparate networks—managed or owned, private or public clouds—together with RackConnect, enabling you to build solutions that fit your business and IT security requirements. Desktops can be hosted in the Rackspace Hosted Virtual Desktop platform, while the data, apps and business processes can reside in another datacenter or cloud.
- Demos and pilots – The Rackspace Hosted Virtual Desktop platform is perfect for demo, pilot and training environments. The number of desktops, infrastructure and configurations can be easily and cost effectively changed, replicated and deployed.
- Seasonal workloads – Industries affected by spikes in employment or demand like accounting, manufacturing and retail can elastically scale and respond. New desktops can instantly be brought online and be consumed only during the required lifecycle instead of procuring and deploying physical desktops.
For those of you at Citrix Summit and Citrix Synergy 2011 come learn more about and see the Rackspace Hosted Virtual Desktop Platform in person at Rackspace’s booth—#416— and Citrix’s Desktop Virtualization for Service Providers—pod #13— in the Expo Hall.
For more information about the Rackspace hosted virtual desktop platform please visit www.rackspace.com/hvd
1 “Forecast: Hosted Virtual Desktops, Worldwide, 2010-2014 (2010 Update),” December 1, 2010, Gartner, Inc. Report G00206728