I got some calls from partners having problems getting Microsoft Windows Small Business Server to work with XenServer. I took this to write my next blog entry and showing you how to get SBS 2008 flying on XenServer.
- First of all: Download Windows SBS 2008 . I used SBS 2008 x64 bit with SP2 included.
- Create a new virtual machine using the Windows 2008 64-bit template, run through the wizard and do a normal install of SBS.
- After a successfull installation the virtual machine is doing a reboot but not is able to start successful. It is hanging when windows will apply the computer settings.
- Stop the virtual machine, start it again and press “F8” at the beginning of the SBS boot. Select the “Safe Mode” option to boot SBS into safe mode.
- When SBS is up logon as an administrator you defined during the SBS installation.
- Now start regedit to modify some registry entries described in microsofts knowledge base article KB-2004121. Therefore navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HTTP and create the following Multi-string value: DependOnService. Double click the new DependOnService entry and type CRYPTSVC in the Value Data field and click OK.
- Now reboot the virtual machine. It now should start up without any issues.
- Finally log on again th the SBS server, install the XenServer tools and do a last reboot.
That’s it! I tested this on my XenServer 5.6 installation and it worked fkine for me.