As you may or may not have heard, we here at Citrix Labs in Sydney have been working hard at developing the Citrix Receiver for Android, and I’m very pleased to announce that the tech preview is now available to download from the Android Market.
This has truly been a whirlwind project with some very aggressive milestones to enable its release. It’s funny to think it was only in late July that Gordon Payne and I gave the world a sneak peek at what’s coming… and now, its arrived!
You might remember that Citrix Labs initially brought you the Citrix Receiver for iPhone, so it was natural that we also took on the Android challenge. The Tech Preview that is available is definitely on-par with the tech preview we initially released for iPhone, but with a few extra goodies that you can try out. Here are a few:
• You can set up multiple XenApp accounts to utilise, and specify a particular default account to use.
• As a XenApp administrator, you can now specify “Featured” applications which are listed on a separate tab of the Android Receiver.
• As a Receiver user, you can create a favourite list of applications so that your most used apps are listed separately.
• It is now possible to create icons for particular XenApp delivered applications on the Android home screen.
• The Citrix Receiver for Android works great when handling inbound/outbound phone calls and SMS messages.
SSL connectivity hasn’t made it in to the Tech Preview release, but, just like with the Citrix Receiver for iPhone, watch this space.
Now, it’s up to you. Install the Citrix Receiver for Android from the Android Market and tell us what you think through the support forum. Over the next couple of days, the Citrix Receiver for Android community site will be finalised with all the documentation you need, so keep an eye out for an update blog when this is live.