Here is a short demo video
I recently tried the newly released XenApp Plug-in for Mac, previously known as Mac ICA client.
Overall I had a good experience with it. It’s simpler to use and feels more like native applications than earlier version.
Here are a few things I learned that you may find useful:
- This XenApp Plug-in contains a new component called Dazzle. Dazzle is an application that allows you to “install” your favorite published applications so that you can launch them easily later just like native applications.
- Dazzle doesn’t however launch published applications.
- Launching from Web Interface from browser is still supported.
- Dazzle relies on XenApp Services (previously known as PNAgent service). Please make sure you provide PNAgent URL not Web Interface URL when asked about server address.
- Once you click the add button next to a published application in Dazzle, an application shortcut is placed in /Application/Dazzle folder. Then you can treat the application just like any other locally installed applications. You can launch it from that folder or drag it to the dock for example. At first I was not sure what happened when I clicked the add button.
The published applications, once “installed”, behave very much like native applications. One thing that is missing still though is the ability to drag a file from a finder window to a published application. For example, I would love to attach a local file to published Outlook by dragging the file and drop it into the outlook window.
There are certain behaviors of Dazzle that I wish were different. But once I learn how to use it properly, it is not a problem for me since I don’t have a need to use Dazzle often. It’s more like an installer for me. What’s most important to me is the experience of actually using my favorite published applications.
Overall, I am happy with the improvements. Keep up the good work Mac team!
You can find another review by Orestes with pictures here.
Try the new the new Plug-in (client) now.
You can download it from here
I’d love to hear your comments and your experience. I will be happy to relay the feedbacks to the team who developed this release. If you are seeking help with an issue, I’d recommend posting it to this forum and leave a link to it in your comment so that I and others can better help you.