IE 8 has some great new features, one of which is adding custom Search Providers, allowing the user to quickly search any website with a built-in search feature, here I will show you how to customize IE8 so that you can find the information you require from Citrix, without having to first find the correct search location….
• Open up Internet Explorer 8
• Browse to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/searchguide/en-en/default.mspx
• In the Yellow box add in the following URLs & search provider names
• Copy and paste this URL into the URL field: http://support.citrix.com/search/basic?searchQuery=TEST
• Copy and paste this into the Search Provider Name field: Citrix Knowledge Center
• Click Install
• Click Add
(Read on to add more Citrix sites or scroll to the end and check out “example 1” in Example Uses section to use this new customisation feature)
To add more Citrix search websites, repeat the process above, using the following URLs
• Copy and paste this URL into the URL field: http://search.citrix.com/search?q=TEST
• Search Provider Name field: Citrix.com
• URL to add:
• Search Provider Name field: Citrix Blogs
• URL to add:
Search Provider Name field: Citrix Forums
Go to the top right corner of the screen and type in a CTX + number in Internet Explorer,
Double click on the magnifying glass that represents Citrix Knowledge Center (hovering will display the search provider name) and hit Enter.
This will take you straight to the query results page on the Citrix Knowledge Center website. Our example (CTX 119036) would lead us to the “User Profile manager Deployment Best Practises” document at the top of the results.
Go to the top right corner of IE and enter “VDI Overview” in the search field.
Double click on the magnifying glass that represents “Citrix .com”.
You will see a list of relevant pages, the top one being the page that takes you an “overview of VDI”, complete with video.
You can use the above processes to customize your search functionality as much as you like, custom search providers are useful for searching both internal and external sites.
To add your own provider, simply go to the search page you use the most, type in the word “TEST” in capitals and hit search. Once the results are displayed, copy the URL now showing in the address bar and use this in the add custom search provider process.