Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a W3C standard for creating custom markup language to representing structured data in text.
Characteristics of XML
- Simple and Plain Text
- Easy to read and understand both for humans and computers
- Supports “all” platforms and programming languages
- Supports multi-lingual documents
- Meta data in the form of tags and attributes
- Simplifies tools/programs development
- Widely adopted World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) standard since 1998
- No fixed set of tags. New tags can be created as they are needed.
- Can express complex messages.